Calf pneumonia is one of the most common calf problems in the farm, especially during the cold season as is currently experienced in the country. About 67% of pneumonia cases affect calves less than three months old.
Feeding dairy cows to increase milk yield has been for a long time an elusive dream for Pius Wandera, a dairy farmer owning three cows in Kakamega. Despite putting a lot of effort in feeding, none of his cows had ever produced more than 8 litres a day.
The following is the recommended housing plan for a small scale zero grazing unit. The cubicle of a dairy cow shed has three distinct areas:
- The resting and sleeping cubicle or compartment
- The cattle walking or manure places
- The cattle forage, feeding and watering place
Zero grazing or stall feeding is basically confining dairy cattle in a stall and feeding them there. There is minimum movement of cattle because they are not allowed to graze in the fields and thus the term zero grazing.
More Articles ...
- Pig housing plans for small scale farmers
- Livestock farmers and businesses can get loans from Kenya Livestock Finance Trust
- How to make high quality silage
- Urea Molasses Mineral Blocks